United States Growth Tracker
10 September 2020
- US GDP for Q2 contracted by over 31%, wiping out 4 years og GDP growth.
- Key indicators show economic activity still in recession in August despite improvements.
- Consumer and Business Sentiment fell sharply in March to June, an uptick has been noted as businesses continue to return to work.
- Unemployment claims eased very slightly in May and August but sit at -7% year-on-year
- The sale of passenger cars remain 30% below a year ago.
Real GDP Growth 1961 - 2018
Since 1961, annual American real GDP growth has been following a falling trend year-on-year.
Quarterly Real GDP Growth Q1 2008 - Q2 2020 ($billion, 2009 chained)
Leading & Composite Indicators
OECD Composite Leading Indicator
The OECD Composite Leading Indicator® (CLI) is designed “to provide early signals of turning points between expansions and slowdowns of economic activity”. The components include: Dwellings started (number), Net new orders for durable goods, share prices: NYSE composite, consumer sentiment indicator, weekly hours of work: manufacturing, purchasing managers index, and the spread of interest rates.