Released: 27 May 2020
May Sales Survey Indexes Show Massive Damage to the Indian Economy
- The Headline Sales Managers Index plunged an all-time low of 23.8 in May.
- Market and Sales Growth Indexes more than halved from already low mid-40's Index numbers in April, to never-seen -before low 20's
- Worst of all, the Staffing Index came in at 19.3, indicating massive job losses in many sectors.
India was always going to be badly hit by Covid-19, with its giant densely packed cities, minimal public health resources in relation to population size, and ultra-low levels of general hygiene, overlaid by poverty on a major scale. But the chaotic nature of the (very late) Government response, giving over a billion people just 4 hours’ notice of "confinement" made a difficult situation far worse. Official Indian statistics are, as always, difficult to interpret. But the Monthly Sales Managers Survey data show up very clearly the enormous damage the Indian economy suffered in May.
India: Headline Sales Managers’ Index (SMI)
The Headline Sales Managers' Index (SMI) - a composite indicator designed to provide the most up-to-date assessment of business activity.
Access Indian SMI Charts & Data
- HEADLINE SALES MANAGERS’ INDEX (SMI)
- BUSINESS CONFIDENCE INDEX
- MARKET GROWTH INDEX
- SALES GROWTH INDEX
- PRICES CHARGED INDEX
- STAFFING LEVELS INDEX
- CURRENCY STRENGTH INDEX
- PROFIT MARGINS INDEX
- LEARN MORE...
ALL SALES MANAGERS INDEX DATA IS AVAILABLE ON SUBSCRIPTION, SUBSCRIBE HERE