China Growth Tracker
15 July 2021
- Official data states that China's GDP grew at 7.9% in Q2 2021 after the 18.3% increase in Q1.
- Latest indicators suggest business activity is now growing above pre-covid levels.
- New car sales have eased further but remain in the pre-2020 range.
- Total retail sales grew by 12.4% YnY in May.
- China's Industrial Production grew by 12.4% YnY in May.
Quarterly Real GDP Growth Q1 2007 – Q2 2021
Annual Real GDP Growth 1961-2020
Data for the last 50 years shows near continuous strong growth in the Chinese economy.
Leading & Composite Indicators
OECD Composite Leading Indicator
The (CLI) is designed “to provide early signals of turning points between expansions and slowdowns of economic activity” The CLI for China uses the following components: Production of chemical fertilizer (tonnes), monetary aggregate m2 (Renminbi). Production of manufactured crude steel (tonnes), 5000 Industrial Enterprises Diffusion Index, Overseas order level (%), buildings (m2), Production of motor vehicles (number), and the Shanghai Stock Exchange Turnover (Renminbi).