China Growth Tracker
18 January 2021
- Official data states that China's GDP grew at 6.5% in Q4 after the drop of 6.8% earlier last year.
- Latest indicators suggest business activity is growing steadily month-on-month.
- New car sales continue to bounce back, growing at a rate of 12.6% in November.
- Total retail sales grew by 5% YnY in November.
- China's Industrial Production has recovered to pre-2020 levels and continuing solid growth in November.
Quarterly Real GDP Growth Q1 2007 – Q3 2020
Annual Real GDP Growth 1961-2019
Data for the last 50 years shows near continuous strong growth in the Chinese economy.
Leading & Composite Indicators
OECD Composite Leading Indicator
The (CLI) is designed “to provide early signals of turning points between expansions and slowdowns of economic activity” The CLI for China uses the following components: Production of chemical fertilizer (tonnes), monetary aggregate m2 (Renminbi). Production of manufactured crude steel (tonnes), 5000 Industrial Enterprises Diffusion Index, Overseas order level (%), buildings (m2), Production of motor vehicles (number), and the Shanghai Stock Exchange Turnover (Renminbi).