China Growth Tracker
12 October 2020
- China’s economy expanded 4.9 per cent year on year in the third quarter as industrial growth powered the country’s recovery from the coronavirus pandemic.
- Latest indicators suggest business activity is growing modestly month-on-month.
- New car sales continue to bounce back, growing at a rate of 11.6% in August.
- Total retail sales grew by 0.5% YnY in August.
- China's Industrial Production has recovered from the Q1 crash, maintaining solid growth in August.
- The Li Keqiang Index fell in July to a near 2 year low.
Quarterly Real GDP Growth Q1 2007 – Q2 2020
Annual Real GDP Growth 1961-2019
Data for the last 50 years shows near continuous strong growth in the Chinese economy.
Leading & Composite Indicators
OECD Composite Leading Indicator
The (CLI) is designed “to provide early signals of turning points between expansions and slowdowns of economic activity” The CLI for China uses the following components: Production of chemical fertilizer (tonnes), monetary aggregate m2 (Renminbi). Production of manufactured crude steel (tonnes), 5000 Industrial Enterprises Diffusion Index, Overseas order level