China Growth Tracker
20 October 2021
- Official data states that China's GDP grew at 4.9% in Q3 2021 after the 7.9% increase in Q2.
- Latest indicators suggest business activity is remaining above pre-covid levels.
- New car sales have eased further but remain in the pre-2020 range.
- Total retail sales grew by 2.5% YnY in August.
- China's Industrial Production has increased at a rate of 5.3% in August.
Quarterly Real GDP Growth Q1 2007 – Q2 2021
Annual Real GDP Growth 1961-2020
Data for the last 50 years shows near continuous strong growth in the Chinese economy.
Leading & Composite Indicators
OECD Composite Leading Indicator
The (CLI) is designed “to provide early signals of turning points between expansions and slowdowns of economic activity” The CLI for China uses the following components: Production of chemical fertilizer (tonnes), monetary aggregate m2 (Renminbi). Production of manufactured crude steel (tonnes), 5000 Industrial Enterprises Diffusion Index, Overseas order level (%), buildings (m2), Production of motor vehicles (number), and the Shanghai Stock Exchange Turnover (Renminbi).